CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, March 27, 2009

The Art Studio that Inspires

I have had several people want to see where I do my creating. So, for peeping's sake, I took pictures for you all. Enjoy and tell me what you think!

The old door in the back which I pulled out of a dumpster will eventually have cork board and ribbons on it for tacking up little notes and inspirational ideas. And I must give a shout out to Madeline Apple who made my curtains and table skirt. THANK YOU!!


The walls are painted to look like suede. I have hung matching ball fringe from the seam where the camel color meets the chocolate color. It's really fun to watch people's reactions when they see this.


This is my couch...my lovely, one of a kind, piece of art! I found the Victorian era couch (which had seen better days) at a garage sale for $20. I had the cushions recovered with $2 squares of sample fabric. The bottoms are different coordinating fabrics so I can change the look of the couch all the time. I had an old man recover it just before he retired (whew!). The pillows I got on sale at Ross. The whole thing cost me about $150. I just love it.

I should tell you that this room used to be my son's.
I stole it.
But hey now, don't start judging me too harshly just yet. You see, every night I would put the boy to bed in this room and every morning I would find him in bed with Julia down the hall. He never even played in his room. So, I confiscated it since it was technically wasted space anyway. But now, anytime anyone comes over he tells them, "Yeah, this used to be my room, but mommy stole it."
Anyhow, I made this dresser. I bought it at an antique store for $40 and put some fabric I had on hand on it using wallpaper paste. I plan to put a glass top on it for more protection. I got knobs at Hobby Lobby. This cost me a grand total of about $60.


Again, I love to find bargains and garage sale-ing is my favorite thing to do! I found this mannequin for $50, the trunks for $10, the little stars for about $10, and the frames (which were a gaudy gold color before I painted and distressed them) were about $2. The tiara on my lady friend is a handcrafted metal masterpiece I found online and she's sporting vintage pearls.

Aahhh. I just love this place.

17 comments:

Room to Inspire said...

Wow, what a great space! I have been working on re-creating my "craft room" and yours is just wonderful.

Chelsea

Carissa Mason said...

Thank you! I have been so bad at updating this particular blog. My general family/life blog keeps most of my extra time wrapped up. Hope you have fun redecorating your craft room! Glad I could give you some creative inspiration! Thanks for stopping by!

Room to Inspire said...

I am so glad you linked this up to Be Inspired too! I just love your craft area - just looking at it again is inspiring me!

Chelsea

Ann @ makethebestofthings said...

I just love your stylish studio, what a great space! I have WAY TOO MUCH STUFF packed into mine and need to redo it. Thing is, I use most of it alot. Your studio certainly inspires me, tho. Just gorgeous.

KimMalk said...

This looks like a fun place to hang out and be creative in. I love the sofa with different fabrics, I'd like to do that with my sofa :).

clustres said...

What a great bargain on that mannequin!

judi said...

carissa,
i found you via funky junk donna! love your craft studio and how you've pulled it all together. i also am in the midst of re-organizing and decorating mine and you've given me some great ideas!
judi ;)
the1829farmhouse.blogspot.com

Connie Eyberg Originals said...

Great studio! I have been telling people on my organizing blog that you don't have to work in total chaos to be creative. This is beautiful! I may put your post link on my 'studio solutions' blog if you don't mind? Connie

Carissa Mason said...

Oh Connie, that would be awesome! THANK YOU!

The Autocrat: Haley said...

How come my mismatched stuff never looks cohesive?! Yours is totally fabulous!!! You did a great job!

anne maskell said...

love that room! it looks so inviting and cozy! I'm just stopping by from all things related.

Olivia said...

Wow, i would be in heaven to have my own craft room, everything is way cool,love the manny,
hugs,
olivia

Unknown said...

Wow...every where you turn there is inspiration! My work space is all busy no play! haha Thanks for joining us for Anything Related!
~Bridgette

Megan Gunyan said...

Wow, the dresser is definitely unique. I love it. And the frames and corner are so elegant.

Rory from Tools Are For Women Too! said...

Thanks for linking and making this the most successful Modern Craftswoman Monday so far! Rory

Joy@Thrifty Parsonage Living said...

I love your little corner with the mannequin and frames. What a great space!

Rebecca@This Present Life said...

What a beautiful space! I'm sure you feel so creative in there. I LOVE the couch with the mismatched cushions!